[Excerpt: Read full article here.]
Donating your time or money to a worthy cause helps make a positive difference in the world, which is enough of a good reason to give. But there are many other benefits worth exploring:
• A sense of purpose. Helping people in need can enlarge your world and transform you into a more important part of the community.
• Improved well-being. Giving to others can improve your physical health, self-esteem and mental health.
• Society benefits. “Nearly 20 percent of donors nationwide said that the most important reason they donated was to help people meet basic needs such as food, shelter, clothing and heat,” and 17 percent said “making the world a better place” motivated them,
• Tax deductions. Society repays you with a nice deduction from your taxes for most charitable donations, but you need to have proof. • Matching gifts. Many corporations will match your charitable contributions, sometimes dollar-for-dollar, and help you make them with automatic payroll deductions.
• Personal satisfaction. You can strike a blow against diseases or situations that have hit you personally. Two last points:
1. When you contribute to a charity, be sure it’s a legitimate organization.
2. Find out how much of your donation will be spent on administrative costs.
About the author:
Steve Higgins became a freelance writer in 2007 after a 25-year career as a business reporter and editor for daily newspapers in Georgia, Florida, Arizona and Connecticut. To learn more about Steve, please visit www.higginswriting.com.
Higgins, Steve. 2012. 6 Great reasons to donate to charity. [Web:] http://www.dimespring.com/articles/6-great-reasons-to-donate-to-charity. [Date of Access:] 12 February 2015.