@santashoebox #Charity #SouthAfrica #Magic8
New to giving with the Santa Shoebox Project? Well, listen up, some helpful tips coming your way!
Though not the official ‘codename’, I think ‘magic 8’ will work to describe the 8 compulsory items every box should contain.
These are very basic and, if you are an old hand at Santa Shoebox-packing, you will know that you need not wait until the last minute to purchase these items. They can be added to your monthly grocery list so that you can start collecting them in January. You will also know to keep an eye out for specials throughout the year. In the end, using just your magic 8-collection, you will probably be able to fill quite a number of boxes.
Here is the list:
- Toothpaste and toothbrush (You sometimes get a set of paste and brush at Dischem at a reasonable price.
- Soap and facecloth (Soap can be bought in bulk at Makro and you can actually get creative with that facecloth. Over the years we’ve seen ones decorated with the beneficiary child’s name and some have a beautiful little crocheted border.)
- Sweets (Try to avoid chocolate, as it melts in the SA heat and can make a mess of your entire box. Also, no drinks and remember to pack an age appropriate sweet, like marshmallows for babies.)
- Educational supplies (Anything from pens and pencils to mathematical sets, but remember to make it age appropriate.)
- Toys (No guns, not even water pistols, or anything that can be used as a weapon. Also, please avoid religious items.)
- Clothing (You need not pack an entire outfit, even socks or underwear can be counted as ‘clothing’. Make sure the size of the clothes will fit your pledged child.)
To this you can add whatever you like to fill up your box. Use your imagination and let your own kids become part of the project. Let them write Christmas notes to the child (the kids LOVE that) or have them draw a pretty picture.
Now, the boxes, next week I’ll be sharing a video to help you with ideas on how to cover the box. Suffice to say, for now, make it fun and interesting.
REMEMBER to paste your printed label on the box and do not damage the bar code. That will tell our computers exactly where the box must go, even if the name is lost!
Keep well and happy packing!
If you have questions or queries, please complete the contact form below and we will get back to you ASAP.
BY THE WAY you can print out the image above and paste it on carton. Cut it out and it becomes a little puzzle that you can add to your box!